Minutes for 12 Nov 2023
Jeff B., Secretary
Jennifer B., Treasurer
Nona C., Vice Chair
Mark M., Technology Chair
Susan R., Chair
Susan R., the Chair, called the meeting to order at 2:02 pm EST. The meeting opened with the Serenity Prayer.
Secretary Report – Jeff B., Secretary
- Jeff reported that the changes to the 9/12 minutes disappeared after accepting the changes that Jennifer had made. He stated that he remembered a few of the changes and asked Jennifer to comment on any additional changes that she made. Mark made a motion to accept the minutes from 9/12 with changes to be made based on the previous change Jennifer B. seconded the motion, and the minutes were approved unanimously.
- Jeff reviewed the minutes from the 10/8 Officer Board meeting. There were no comments on this set of minutes. Mark M. made a motion to accept the 10/8 minutes as presented which was seconded by Nona C. The minutes were approved unanimously.
Treasurer’s Report – Jennifer B., Treasurer
- Jennifer stated that there was no need to review the financial reports as they were posted online and reviewed yesterday.
Technology Chair – Mark M., Technology committee chair
- The Cloud Admin group has had a rotation, and it has taken a few months to get ready to start working with the Committee chairs.
- The Committee is looking to bring on some new people over the next few months.
- Susan asked about Dave W. from the Cloud Admin group reaching out to her for training on Google. Susan asked if any of the Board members would like to be included. Mark suggested that the Board come up-to-speed with using the Google Board drive. Susan stated that she will get back to Dave and schedule a session in the new year on how to use the Board drive.
Vice chair Report – Nona C., Vice chair
- Nona reported that the Convention committee will start meeting in January.
- Nona talked with Susan about the PIC and CPC committees and suggested that we wait until the new trustees come on board. This could be a good project for those trustees.
- Nona mentioned that the next IGR Forum meeting will take place in January. There was a discussion about covering the new Guidelines at this forum, but it was pointed out that there will be separate workshops to review the Guidelines with the membership.
Chair Report – Susan R., Chair
- Susan asked the Board whether we wanted to have a Combined Board meeting in December. The Board was in favor of not waiting until January and that we should have a Combined Board meeting on Dec. 2nd.
- Susan next discussed her plans for the Assembly. Her agenda for the Assembly was to:
- Approve the prior Assembly minutes.
- Have Jennifer review the Budget line-by-line and have the budget approved by the Membership.
- Conduct the Elections. Each position will be voted on separately with candidates being given 3 minutes to present their service resumes.
- Susan will have the agenda posted on the website.
Guideline Review – Jeff B., Secretary
- Jeff stated that he received comments on the first 4 sections from Jennifer, Susan and Nona. Susan’s comments were largely formatting, and Jennifer had some formatting changes as well. Jeff stated that he will make those formatting changes.
- Jeff mentioned that both Nona and Jennifer had several questions. These questions were placed in a separate document which was sent to the Board. Jeff went through these questions, one-by-one, having a discussion about each question and making changes to the Guidelines document with the approval of the Board for each change.
- One change that was discussed was whether any AA member had the right to file a Concept V appeal, as currently stated in the Guidelines. The Board felt that one had to be a member of OIAA, voting or non-voting, to file a Concept V appeal. Nona C. made a motion that the Guidelines be changed from AA member to OIAA member. The motion was seconded by Mark M. The vote received substantial unanimity (4 to 1) but was not unanimous; there was no minority opinion/
- Jennifer’s questions related to the use of a 2/3 majority in our assembly procedures. She pointed out that our Bylaws have specific situations where a 2/3 majority is required but that in all other situations only a simple majority is required. Jeff responded that he was surprised by this as Bill W. in his writings and in the Concepts advocates for substantial unanimity. The Board agreed, however, that the Bylaws should be adhered to, and that the assembly procedures section will be updated accordingly.
- Jennfer requested a motion which states that unless specifically stated in our Bylaws, votes on business items require only a simple majority. Nona C. seconded the motion and the Board voted unanimously to approve the motion.
Update on Technology RFP – Mark M., Technology chair
- Mark stated that he had posted the RFP for a special technology worker on several RFP sites. He has received several responses and is in the process of reviewing them.
PayPal Giving Fund – Jennifer B., Treasurer
- Jennifer mentioned that the Finance committee discussed whether to join the PayPal Giving Fund which could help lower the cost of PayPal fees. The Committee felt that there were several drawbacks to being in this program and that OIAA should not join.
Board Book – Nona C., Vice chair
- Nona asked our Secretary, Jeff, for a date by which the documents for the Board Book could be gathered,
- Jeff stated that his next step will be to create a spreadsheet with the list of documents required for the Board Book and create folders on the Board drive for these documents. Nona stated that he should let the Board know if he needs help.
Communication Issue with Utilization of OIAA Resources – Susan R., chair
- Susan mentioned that she was contacted by Lesliee, the chair of the Communication committee, about concerns that Jeff, our Secretary, was using the video resources of her committee.
- Jeff clarified that he had reached out to Randy C. for the sole purpose of learning his process for creating videos and that he did not request the use of any OIAA resources. Jeff also informed Randy that the Grapevine, La Vina and Magazine committee was no longer a part of OIAA and that Randy still had this committee on his list.
- Nona suggested that even though there was nothing done wrong in this situation it would be a good idea to let the Board know about situations where a potential conflict of interest could be involved.
Copyright and Intellectual Property Issues – Susan R., Chair
- Susan read an email sent to her from Lesliee, the Communication chair, about trademarking our logo and protecting our intellectual property. As there was a lot to consider the Board decided to hold off having this discussion until the December Board meeting.
- Jennifer pointed out that the Board had already discussed trademarking the OIAA logo and had decided against doing that. Jeff mentioned that the key issue with creating a trademark is that you need to defend it if someone else uses the trademark, which is something that has caused the General Service Board legal issues and a great deal of expense.
The meeting closed with the Responsibility Declaration at 3:42 pm EST.
The following motions were voted on and approved by the Board at this meeting:
- Mark made a motion to accept the minutes from 9/12 with changes to be made based on the previous changes. Jennifer B. seconded the motion, and the minutes were approved unanimously.
- Mark M. made a motion to accept the 10/8 minutes as presented which was seconded by Nona C. The minutes were approved unanimously.
- Nona C. made a motion that the Guidelines be changed from AA member to OIAA member. The motion was seconded by Mark M. The vote received substantial unanimity (4 to 1) but was not unanimous; there was no minority opinion.
- Jennifer requested a motion which states that unless specifically stated in our Bylaws, votes on business items require only a simple majority. Nona C. seconded the motion and the Board voted unanimously to approve the motion.