Minutes for 23 Sep 2023
OIAA Combined Board Meeting Minutes September 23rd, 2023
Lesliee A., Communications chair
Beth A., Alt. Unity chair
Jeff B., Secretary
Jennifer B., Treasurer
Jan BB, PAC Chair
Nona C., Vice Chair
Carlos D., Unity chair
Felix E., Alt. Treasurer
Eldin, Alt. PAC chair
Melinda F., Alt. Technology chair
Amelia L., Alt. Secretary
Mark M., Technology Chair
Susan R., Chair
Susan R., the Chair, called the meeting to order at 5:02 pm EST with the Serenity Prayer.
Secretary report – Jeff B., Secretary
- Jeff reviewed the Combined Board meeting from the last Combined Board meeting on Aug. 18th, 2023.
- As there were no corrections, Mark M. made a motion to accept the minutes as presented. The motion was seconded by Nona C. and the minutes were unanimously approved.
- Jeff reported that two lawyers have been assigned to OIAA to help us review and approve the 3 organizational documents: the Whistleblower policy, the Conflict of Interest document and the Document Retention policy document. These lawyers will also help us review and finalize the Open Door process.
- Jeff also stated that he has prepared a spreadsheet with the backlog of Board minutes that still need to be created from when he was unavailable due to illness. Jeff mentioned that we have minutes now going back through July with several back minutes that he and Amelia still need to create.
Treasurer’s report – Jennifer B., Treasurer
- Jennifer stated that she will not be reviewing the Financial reports as this was done last week at the OIAA Assembly.
- Jennifer did have several comments about the budget process
- Jennifer stated that she and Felix met to review the budget. She asked Felix to verify the revenue projections.
- At this time, it appears that there is about a $40,000 deficit based on the current budget requests.
- Jennifer stated that the Finance committee meetings have been moved to the 2nd Saturday of the month at 2pm EST to better accommodate international participants.
- Jennifer mentioned that there is no money included in the 2024 budget for an external audit. However, she sent out an email to anyone interested in conducting an internal audit. Jennifer reported that there were 3 responses and that Eldin had drafted procedures which could be used for an internal audit.
Chair report – Susan R., Chair
- Susan provided her chair report to the Board.
- Susan stated that she reviewed the Bylaws about her role and described her activities during the past quarter.
- Susan emphasized the need for the Committees to work together on common issues.
- Susan mentioned that the Officer Board meetings will also be moved to the 2nd Sunday at 2pm EST and the Combined Board meetings will be on the 3rd Saturdays at 2pm EST. While the problem still exists of reaching the other half of the world, these times will be more friendly to our European attendees.
Vice Chair – Nona C., Vice Chair
- Nona reported that her first quarter as Vice chair has largely been following the lead of the Chair
- Nona reported on her activities for this past quarter including the Committee meetings that she attended.
Technology Chair report – Mark M., Technology Chair
- Mark reported that this quarter has been the culmination of the last 6 to 9 months. He thanked his predecessors for putting aside the money for updating our technology.
- He mentioned that the last 3 months have been involved with making adjustments to the newly launched website.
- The Technology committee was involved in the budget process and the current Technology committee budget is $55,000 which is approximately half of next year’s budget.
- If you need any help with OIAA technology, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mark reported that two members of the Tech committee attended the NAATW conference in-person on behalf of the Technology committee.
- Melinda reported that she prepared a report which was posted on the website with notes from NAATW. Melinda also has access to the reports and videos from the NAATW conference that she can share with anyone who asks. She thanked the Board for allowing her to attend NAATW and to serve as the Alt. Tech chair. She described a number of the useful NAATW presentations which were in her report.
- Melinda also reported that she has transitioned out of the Alt. Tech chair role into being a paid special worker. Her new email is email@example.com. She is in the process of documenting her role as a paid Web Servant to ease the transition for the next person assuming this role.
- Carlos D., the chair of the Unity committee, reported that the Committee made the decision to pull out of the 2nd Annual International convention due to disagreements over how to proceed. He also reported that the Committee has prepared their budget for next year which includes funds for an international convention to be hosted by OIAA and that the Committee has submitted their updated charter to the Board for approval.
- Jennifer suggested that the convention being planned by the Unity committee for next October be moved to November where less is going on.
- Jan BB., provided her PAC report to the Board. She stated that that there were 105 requests for new listings in September and that 49 were processed to completion. She provided additional statistics from her report as well.
- Jan talked briefly about the 4 meetings that were declined listings and the reasons for doing this. The meetings were largely declined as they were meetings not solely associated with A.A.
- Amelia L., the Alt. chair of the Guidelines committee, reported that the Guidelines ad hoc committee will be completing their work by the end of September. She expects that the work will be completed by this deadline and that the document will be presented to the Board for review. She mentioned that there will be several open issues which the Board will need to discuss and resolve.
- Lesliee, the chair of the Communication committee, reported that the Communication committee meets on the 3rd Sunday of the month. She reported that she has worked with our Chair, Susan, and Jennifer to develop a process for contracting interpreters and translators. She is thinking about developing a feedback form for evaluating translators and interpreters. Lesliee stated that her committee has developed a process for creating videos and that the Committee is in the process of working on their first video, What is OIAA and the role of the IGR? The Committee is also in the process of developing a form for submitting Committee reports.
- Susan asked the Committee chairs about how frequently they would like to meet as a combined Board. The consensus was that the Committees and the Board should meet quarterly.
The meeting closed with the Responsibility Declaration at 6:48 pm EST
The following motions were voted on and approved by the Board at this meeting:
- Mark M. made a motion to accept the minutes as presented. The motion was seconded by Nona C. and the minutes were unanimously approved.